Australia was inhabited by indigenous Australians (Aboriginals) for about 60,000 years before the first British settlement in the 1788.
Main Language: English
Capital City: Canberra
Largest City: Sydney
Currency: Australian dollar (AUD)
Australia Day: January 26
Population: 25+ million
Australia is not only a Country but also the mainland of a Continent.
Australia is nearly the same size as the Continental USA.
Image Credit: The Australian Government.
Most of Australia is desert so the majority of the population lives in coastal cities.
Australia has six states and two major mainland territories:
- New South Wales (NSW): Sydney is the state capital.
- Queensland (QLD): Brisbane is the state capital and the Great Barrier Reef is in this state.
- South Australia (SA): Adelaide is the state capital.
- Tasmania (TAS): Hobart is the state capital.
- Victoria (VIC): Melbourne is the state capital.
- Western Australia (WA): Perth is the state capital.
- Australian Capital Territory (ACT): a federal district where Canberra is the capital city (like Washington DC in the USA)
- Northern Territory (NT): Darwin is the state capital.