Today, May 25th, is National Wine Day!
And in 2020, this day falls on Memorial Day; the day we honor our fallen who died in wars defending the USA. It’s also the un-official beginning to our summer. And despite our 2-month Covid-19 lockdown, outdoor picnics with meat on the grill will be the norm today. So it’s only fitting that I write about some barbecue sauce recipes made with wine.
Wine BBQ Sauce from the Food Network
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup red or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup minced chives or scallion tops
- 1 cup minced parsley
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
This sauce is best if prepared the day before. In a large glass jar or bowl mix all ingredients, cover tightly and let stand overnight at room temperature. Use as a basting sauce for beef, pork, lamb, poultry, fish or game. This sauce also can be used as a marinade before barbecuing.
Wine BBQ Chicken
- 1 whole chicken (or wing or leg or breast combo ~24 oz)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
The remaining recipe instructions can be found here on Food.
Grilled Seafood Packet – Shrimp & Clams with White Wine, Herbs, and Garlic Toast
- 1 lb Cockles or Clams
- 1 lb Shrimp (deveined)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Basil (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Oregano (chopped)
- 2 whole Plum Tomatoes (deseeded and small dice)
- 4 cloves Garlic (3 cloves minced and 1 left whole)
- 1 whole Shallot (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter (each tbsp diced into 6 pieces-12pieces total)
- As Needed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 slices French Baguette
- 2 wedges Lemon
Follow the rest of Olive and Lamb’s recipe directions.
If you would prefer to drink your wine instead of making recipes with it then this article on wine pairings should pique your interest: Never Fear The Grill: Wine Pairings with Barbecue.
Also, there are a couple of National Moscato Day 2020 Recipes that would go great on this day.
Nonetheless, I’m making a different barbecue sauce today, but I’m really looking forward to testing these recipes above in my very near future.